Skip to main content

Microsoft Word black box in numbering issue

This is awkward post, primarily to save the solution for future me. I have seen many people mentioning this problem over years and as I've struggled with it several times, I needed to find final and permanent solution.


All editions of Microsoft Word from time to time suffer from bug in numbering. Instead of a number, black box is displayed. Sometimes it happens right after document is opened, sometimes during editing. Probably some internal structure of document gets corrupted, so based on level of corruption, different fixes could help. Many of them are listed at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/ms-word-header-styles-are-showing-black-boxes/c427b21c-dcda-46ce-a506-b9a16c9f2f3f


I took different approach. Since docx is just standard zip package with xml files, I decided to try if I can fix it manually. And it worked.

When I extracted the docx, there was file called numbering.xml in word folder. When I examined that file, I found strange section in heading that was causing problems. This w:rPr tag wasn't present on any other of level definitions.



When I deleted that tag and re-packaged the docx file, all worked fine.


Now back to productive work, fingers crosses that the document will stay as is for now.

Comments

  1. This worked for me as well! Thank you a lot <3 What editor do you use to view the XML-file? I did it in textedit and it was a struggle to find the right part of the code, as all code was in one block.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WSL, HCL Volt and some Docker

My list of new technologies to try was growing fast in past months, but now I finally can try to catch up with all the cool improvements that can be used to enhance my/your dev experience. Microsoft has enhanced the Windows Subsystem for Linux this year and Docker completely changed the way Docker Desktop for Windows is integrated into the operating system. The most important change for me was that I can finally run Docker Desktop and VMWare Workstation on my machine in parallel. When I was looking for some good use cases to try how it works, HCL Domino was a logical choice. HCL started to even publish official Docker images for every release and some pre-releases are only available as Docker images. I have many test Domino machines running in VMs, but I had no HCL Volt. If you don't know that HCL Volt is - it's a new low-code platform that brings HCL Form Builder experience, now know as HCL Leap, to HCL Domino, which then serves as a data store and application server. Whe

XPages ${} risk of code injection

While working on app optimization I experimented a bit more with 'Compute on page load' vs. 'Compute dynamically' behavior. There have been several discussions in past about possible combination of ${} and #{}, for example posts from  Marky Roden ,  Sven Hasselbach  and  Paul Withers  . What struck me today was risk of code injection. In this app many elements are read from configuration documents that are loaded into beans and later used using ${} binding. This is recommended way as it is static information, so it's efficient. It works nicely until you insert expressions into your data. This way I realized that a lot of code is prone to code injection that can be contained either in configuration documents or any string that is stored and later read this way. To simulate the issue I created simple page with one field, one button and one text: All it does is saving entered value into applicationScope and then displaying it. Since the text uses ${} Compute o